Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Autumn Has Arrived!

Yes, I'm still around!  These past few months have kept me busy with work and some side-projects, but I did continue to keep up with my garden.  This year, I planted mainly tomatoes and flowers.  You'd think that with my very robust harvest of tomatoes over the past few years, I'd plant some other fruits and vegetables, but after discovering how easy it is to make my own fresh salsa from scratch, I've been addicted to tomatoes!

Roma tomatoes have been most plentiful and the green zebra tomatoes have done well.  Surprisingly, my grape tomatoes haven't produced as much fruit as in the past - maybe it's time for some new seeds?

I've supplemented my tomato plants with herbs - some of which return each year including chives and thyme.  This year parsley returned as well!  Earlier this year, I started a new "subscription" to a local fruit and vegetable supplier, Dobrasevic Food Company, which delivers a "small" box of goodies to my door each Saturday.  Their goal is to work with local farmers as much as possible and supply fresh produce to the metro Detroit area.  Before subscribing to their service and products, I purchased most of my produce from Whole Foods Market.  I still love Whole Foods, but I want to help out the local farmers and Michigan economy as much as possible and I love that the produce is so fresh.  Also, the boxes are so packed with produce that, in the end, this is a much more economical option for me.  Dobrasevic Food Company gives customers a heads-up on what will be delivered, but I love opening the box on Saturday and discovering what deliciousness has arrived.  This has allowed me to learn how to cook new foods.  Typically, a couple recipes are included in the box and I've learned how to make up some of my own recipes.  Here's a peek into the delivery I received on Saturday.



I'd like to post photos of my past deliveries which I've archived onto my laptop and show you a sample of what dishes I've created with each week's delivery.

So much to catch up on!  Hope you're having a wonderful week!

No comments: